Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A'hikin we will go

This is the second day IN A ROW that we've woken up early enough to go for a morning hike before the blazing sun gives Zoe heat stroke, Addie sunburn, and me sweaty ass.  

We finally started to use our Bob Revolution stroller consistently (thanks Grandma!)--it's rugged and bad-ass with it's 16" tires, but some of the trails at Quicksilver are EXTREMELY rocky. We'll be trudging along up the hill, Beast panting and eager to get ahead of everyone, Addie's head bobbing like a dashboard hula girl, and we'll hit the equivalent of some Class IV water rapids ("...difficult and should be navigated by only those with advanced maneuvering skills.")  I'm surprised I didn't see Babe's head fly out from the front of the stroller and bounce down the hill. 

Is this lady crazy?! 

I could see every jogger, shuffling elderly couple, and walking-stick wielding Asian lady thinking this as they passed us. I just nodded hello, huffing and puffing, trying to appear as if this was a cakewalk when it was clearly otherwise.  I'm proud to say we completed the entire circuit. The descent was the most difficult portion, as it was rocky AND I had gravity PLUS a crazed dog hell-bent on making me slip and tumble down all together in a big baby/Boston/stroller/girl-snowball. 

Back in March when we had to stuff towels around her so she wouldn't fly out

Adeline was zonked out for most of the treacherous journey. Zoe loved chasing the dust-colored lizards that skittered across the trails.  I listened to another tear/laughter-inducing episode of This American Life on my ipod, feeling reconnected with humanity. 

Overall, a pretty great (if not physically challenging) morning! 

No comments: