Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Blog is Reborn!

I decided to shut down my Facebook account yesterday. I thought I would post a message on my wall informing my friends that I would be departing in a few days, and then kill it. DELETE. All of my status updates, gone. All of the photo albums I lovingly commented on. It's practically Addie's and Louie's Baby Book since rather than writing in an actual Baby Book, I would post, "Addie got her first tooth!", and "Louie is a gargantuan baby!" If you looked at my updates in the past two years, you would have a pretty accurate picture of where I was in my life at any given moment. Of course that picture is constructed, carefully edited, crafted to present the feeling I wanted to convey. Look--Ariel is frustrated! Look--Ariel is joyful and madly in love with her family! Look--Ariel can think of witty ways to say she killed a spider!

The truth is, I've gotten to the point where I've caught myself doing something in real life and thinking, "that would make a clever/funny/poignant status update." ERRRRRR. (That was supposed to sound like screeching tires, btw) I'm sure I'm not the only one (I CAN'T be the only one! please?). Anyways, you get the point. I will write more about the Great Facebook Exodus of 2010 in a later post, but for now, I'll just say I'm over it and lookee-here, this whole blog thing lets me be as unabashedly self-absorbed as I want!

I'm going to write about the things I want to, when I want to. What's going on with our family, what I'm currently interested in...struggles, sleeplessness, losing 50 lbs of damn pregnancy weight, dog pee...oh glorious subject matter!

So if you're interested, please, I welcome one and all to peek in and see what our clan is up to. Who knows where this will lead because I have the attention-span of...well, the toddler I am raising, but who cares! Live! Let go! Let us move forward with open minds and hearts!

(Can you tell I'm a little sleep-deprived?)

OH! And one more tid-bit/interesting-thing-Zach-pointed-out: It's been exactly ONE YEAR since my last post on this here blog. Good timing, no?


2 comments:

Cat Frecceri said...

Ariel - you are definitely not alone. All the world's a iStage in the world of facebook. Countless times, I've navigated to your profile so that I could give myself a nice little dose of envy (Ariel's perfect - see, her facebook profile is proof!). The truth is, you're even better in person. It's your flaws, sans edit, that make you such a solid wife, mother, and friend. I admire you and would love to get to know you better - in real life.

xo, Cat

B&B said...

Cat--Thank you for writing that, I actually started to tear up for some reason. I think we all feel that envy when we look at certain people's facebook profiles, and that's partially why I stopped. Even though we know in the back of our minds that all of our lives are messy and imperfect. And it was really nice of you remind me that the real-life me is better because even with the flaws and sans-editing, at least it's authentic. Same goes for you too missy, I think we need to spend more time together :) xo