Thursday, October 21, 2010

Adventures on Treasure Island



Last weekend, Zach, Addie, and I went to the Treasure Island Music Festival. We had originally planned to take Louie with us and have my mother watch Adeline all day (the festival ran from noon to 11:00pm), but we swapped kids at the last minute and loaded my mom up with a newborn and bottled breast milk (thanks, Mommy!). We figured Addie would enjoy the music more and needed some special alone time with mom and dad before she changed her mind about liking her new little brother. Louie did get a taste of what it would be like for him the next time we all go:

take me with you!

The few days leading up to Sunday, I was feeling butterflies of anxiety about the whole event. I fretted over entirely hypothetical scenarios of how bringing either child would result in disaster--San Francisco hipsters glaring at our non-ironic attire while we changed dirty diapers in front of The National and Rogue Wave. Meltdowns in the bus to and from AT&T Park to the island. How would we transport a newborn or a 25-lb toddler around without a stroller for eight hours? Of course, all the catastrophes in my mind never played out in real life, which is why I need to stop paying attention to the evil "committee" inside my head.


love and peace, man...

Addie was blessedly a gem of a child all day long. Lovely and charming, dancing her little butt off and melting even the hardest of hearts. Maybe it was because Zach and I were enjoying ourselves with the amazing music and set-up of the whole island. Maybe it was having us all to herself. Whatever it was, she was happiness personified even after we left at 10:30pm. She quietly chattered away about buses and strawberries while snuggling up against my chest as we sat in the bus next to a middle-aged couple who were obviously baked out of their minds. We switched her clothes for pajamas in the parking lot as boisterous crowds walked past our car, relieved that the day went so smoothly. Before we hit the freeway she zonked out, maybe dreaming of ferris wheels and blue, baton-twirling bunnies...



My favorite performances that day were by The National, Broken Social Scene, and of course, Belle and Sebastian (the main reason I wanted to go). I'm a little bummed I didn't get to see Ra Ra Riot, but we got there a couple hours after the festival began because it was pouring rain in the morning. I'm happy we didn't end up getting soaked though, and we were more well-prepared for cold weather the rest of the day.


Nice and toasty while enjoying some garlic fries

One thing I've learned about having children is that, yes, it changes many aspects of your life, but you can still do the same things you loved, pre-baby. Music, art, travel--none of it has be compromised... you just have to remember to bring a couple diapers and a sense of humor (ok, and a few other things).

It's a new twist on the old adventures!

drawing in the Thiebaud exhibit at San Jose Art Museum


Rockin' out

Good night :)

No comments: