Monday, October 19, 2009

Photo Journal: Sunday Farmer's Market



I never thought I'd like living in Silicon Valley. I always viewed it as this sprawling concrete jungle, confusing freeways clogged with yuppies driving like psychos in hybrid cars to their techie jobs. My sister told me to give San Jose a chance before casting my verdict, make friends with my new home, go on some dates and prove my prior judgement wrong.

I was wrong.

Yes, there is still the traffic and tech companies and fast-paced energy of business and innovation in certain areas of the Valley, but I never realized that the "sprawl" I perceived was at least eight different cities all mashed together, connected by the same streets so you don't know where one ends and the other begins. And each city has it's own energy, people, downtown scene, activities, and price tag (the same apartment in Palo Alto vs. San Jose can be a $700 difference). I love the town we currently live in. It's very laid back, relatively affordable, centrally located so we're an hour north of Monterey, an hour south of San Francisco, and 25 minutes to Santa Cruz. The downtown area is extremely kid/dog-friendly. One of the luxuries of living in central Cali besides the weather is the variety of local produce we have access to on a daily basis. Our favorite part of the week is Sunday when we walk ten minutes to our local farmer's market, rain or shine, and buy our groceries for the week. Besides the usual fruit and veg, we can get free-range eggs, raw milk, oyster shooters, and great Indian food for lunch. Here are some photos I've taken from several Sundays past...










1 comment:

Sushi Ninja said...

You do seem to be very happy where you are. That makes me happy too!

Love,
Papa