Monday, August 31, 2009

Grateful Mondays--On time edition



I've been feeling better since I wrote this post. It's very refreshing to trust these days that I may experience some depression/anxiety once in awhile, but it's not TRAGEDY of TRAGEDIES and oh-woe-is-me-i'll-drink-my-sorrows-away, as it once was.  It's like, ok, I'm feeling funky today, let me call some friends and connect, wallow for two minutes, then get off my butt and do something. ANYTHING. The key word being "do", as in take action--go for a walk, finish the laundry, sit in a coffee shop and people-watch. And remember that for every moment of misery you may be feeling in the present, there's joy you felt at some point in your past, and you will feel it again in your future.  

The best remedy for me lately is being connected to the people in my life. Depression begets isolation begets more depression, and it's hard to break the cycle once you're in that downward spiral. The phone is an amazing tool once you've stopped convincing yourself that you hate talking to people on the phone (like I did). Even if it's a slightly awkward conversation, it still means something that you even tried. I had to practice for a long time, calling up random people I had just met, and saying, "Hi, it's Ariel. I'm just practicing. Ok, bye." click. Weird, I know, but those people understood. 

Here we go:

1. Zach is back from his business trip. Yay! So done with being a single mom--lasted one week. TONS of respect to single moms, dads, grandparents out there raising kids by themselves. Saints, ye be. 

2. Spoke at a meeting tonight. Felt like a 5th grade science student teaching particle physics to the Large Hadron Collider team, but whatever. Happy to see so many smiling faces and get 52930 hugs. 

3. Delicious donut from Satura Cakes. Made with ORGANIC sugar, whatever that counts for.

4. We're almost finished with the move. Good thing the leases overlapped a month because I am a Procrastinatrix-5000 and have yet to unpack half the boxes currently clogging our guest bedroom.

5. Addie is sleeping 11 hours at night. 11 hours! I'm doing a happy-robot dance right now, because I actually get eight hours of sleep again. Sleep, elusive sleep, I've missed you like a long-lost lover for 7 months. Reunited and it feels so good. 

6. Got my camera out again. No more capturing my daughter growing up with an iPhone camera! 

No comments: