Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Not Until I've Lost A Leg...

...will I ever go to the hospital again.

I almost started to cry tonight when Zach opened the bill for my finger/blender accident two weeks ago, because it says we owe them $2,079.00. TWO THOUSAND SEVENTY NINE DOLLARS FOR A FINGER WOUND.

I interacted with the doctor for literally seven minutes. I declined X-rays and sutures. All she did was put Derma-bond on the cuts and wrap it in gauze and tape. TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I am so determined not to let this incident control me and ruin the evening, but I'm just going to mention this. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM? Seriously, if you are a fiscal conservative/Republican/libertarian/someone who thinks social healthcare is the demise of American capitalism, PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU THINK THIS CURRENT SYSTEM WORKS. Even for people who are able to get health insurance.

Because I am one of the millions of Americans who cannot afford health insurance. Up until a week ago, Zach's job didn't offer insurance. We had to go the private route. All of the insurance companies we went to DENIED me, for "past records", meaning I was denied for being honest on my application about the very brief time I was on mental health medication. Otherwise, I am the picture of health. Our only other option was Cobra, which would cost us $500/month for catastrophic insurance, not including Zach or Addie. Uh, huh. Sure. If I, a healthy 25-year old woman, cannot afford health insurance, what chance does ANYONE have? And when a finger wound costs TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS to treat, what happens when I break my arm? Or find out I have cancer?*

Could I have skipped the trip to the hospital? Probably. Although Zach is a worrywart, and the doctor said it was good to have it looked at to check for nerve damage or chances of infection. But should those be my only two options? Risk infection and possible complications later on, or pay $2,000.00?

I know at least fifteen people close to me who don't have insurance, either because they were denied by private companies, don't work enough hours to qualify at work, or they can't afford it. They are one accident away from complete financial ruin and homelessness. And many who do have insurance through jobs still feel anxiety in this economy, because they are one pink slip away from being in the same boat as the rest of us.

Yes, this is the number one topic in the national news at the moment, and we need to be paying attention. What I have just described is WHY we need to pay attention. I don't think what happened to me is even all that bad, placed within the context of what is happening to others in this country. I'm chalking this up to one big very expensive mistake we made. But it makes me sad and frustrated. Sad that millions of people have to live in fear of receiving health care, frustrated that this great country we live in cannot move forward with a universal healthcare plan. I'm not up for discussing the politics of this right now. For me in this very moment, it is black and white.

*Speaking of which, Fresh Air on NPR was very interesting today. Terry interviewed two women who had/have cancer in their 20's, what their experiences were like with health insurance, treatment, and how they (and others) use humor to get through it all. If you want to listen, go here.

No comments: