Monday, September 7, 2009

Grateful Labor Day

1. The weather was beautiful all three days, both in Pacific Grove and Campbell. Sun was bright and happy, but the breeze kept us cool.

2. We were able to spend the day with my sister on her actual birthday, something I haven't done in at least five or six years. It was fun going for walks in downtown PG and Carmel, eating sushi, and hanging out at home.

3. Zach and I puttered around the yard, clipping and mowing and being all grown-up-like. It was fun except when Zach watched me prune the bushes like a hawk, mentioning every ten seconds how poor of a job I was doing. This isn't the gardens of Versailles, buddy (but I appreciate your attention to detail)!

4a. Today, we went to the birthday party of Addie's buddy, A., who turned the big numero UNO on the same day as my sister. It was birthday madness this entire weekend, four people I knew celebrated them.

4b. PLUS, a little boy celebrated his entrance into the world on the 6th. So make that five birthdays. Congratulations to the V. family! Can't wait to meet S.'s little brother.

4c. And Happy Birthday to my Great-Grandmother, Doris, or Granny as she is known to all, who turned 99 today. She's lived a long, interesting, sometimes difficult life; surviving the Depression, running a family and a farm, raising her two young grandsons when she probably thought she was through with the kid portion of life. I hope she ate lots of chocolate cake and her favorite Italian prunes today...

5. Many little things I'm happy for this weekend: Peet's Lemon Rose Tea, Zach's new job letting him have the Monday off, homeopathic teething tablets, Zoe's infinite patience, my awesome camera that I'm beginning to use again, celebrations of life, cupcakes with melted icing, messages from friends on Facebook, my comfy bed with soft sheets, talking to my parents on the phone.

Being able to recognize the blessings in my life.

Good night, A.

No comments: