Monday, November 29, 2010

little green thumb



My father has maintained a garden in my great-grandmother's backyard for the past eight or nine years. Every year he and my step-mother plant tomatoes, daikon radishes, squash, cucumber, arugula, carrots, turnips and the like, as well as a variety of herbs. I wish I could do this. Correction: I wish I had the attention-span to do this. A veggie garden always sounds so nice in my head, and then when I buy a pot of herbs at Trader Joe's to give it a test run, they're dead by the end of the month. I've bought this same pot of herbs five times now. I can be very poor at carrying things out...Zach calls it shiny-object syndrome.

Luckily Addie and Louie will be able to experience the joys of gardening through my father and Zach's mother. It was far too cold this last trip up to Washington to get any real gardening experience in, but Addie was still able to spend a little time with her Grandpa Johnson, digging up turnips and carrots, and raking leaves in the yard. Child labor is always the way to go in these situations...




How have I managed to keep this child alive for two years, yet killed every plant in my possession?!

No comments: